Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
The Ni group aims to realize human-oriented materials intelligence through the combination of soft electronics and digital metamaterials—the materials can sense human signals, transform and adapt their functional properties according to human actions or status. The technical approach embraces epidermal electronics for advanced sensing of body mechanics, and micro/nanomechanics for closed-loop programmable matter. Our research focuses on creating digital-physical interfaces for dynamic control over materials properties via a full spectrum of mechanical and acoustic processes.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, 2018
Flexible electronics, precision measurement, non-destructive testing, deformation physics of random media, mechanical metamaterials, robotic materials and smart structures, machine learning
- CEE 626: Energy Flow and Wave Propagation in Elastic Solids
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ME 221L: Structure and Properties of Solids
- ME 391: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 392: Undergraduate Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 543: Energy Flow and Wave Propagation in Elastic Solids
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Wearable Imaging Tool Would Make It Easier to Diagnose Neurological Issues (Jul 27, 2023 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Artificial Soft Surface Autonomously Mimics Shapes From Nature (Nov 1, 2022 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Xiaoyue Ni: Designing Smart Materials and Wearable Technologies to Improve Health (Oct 13, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Bai, Y; Wang, H; Xue, Y; Pan, Y; Kim, J-T; Ni, X; Liu, T-L; Yang, Y; Han, M; Huang, Y; Rogers, JA; Ni, X, A dynamically reprogrammable surface with self-evolving shape morphing., Nature, vol 609 no. 7928 (2022), pp. 701-708 [10.1038/s41586-022-05061-w] [abs].
- Ni, X; Ouyang, W; Jeong, H; Kim, J-T; Tzaveils, A; Mirzazadeh, A; Wu, C; Lee, JY; Keller, M; Mummidisetty, CK; Patel, M; Shawen, N; Huang, J; Chen, H; Ravi, S; Chang, J-K; Lee, K; Wu, Y; Lie, F; Kang, YJ; Kim, JU; Chamorro, LP; Banks, AR; Bharat, A; Jayaraman, A; Xu, S; Rogers, JA, Automated, multiparametric monitoring of respiratory biomarkers and vital signs in clinical and home settings for COVID-19 patients., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 118 no. 19 (2021) [10.1073/pnas.2026610118] [abs].
- Lee, K; Ni, X; Lee, JY; Arafa, H; Pe, DJ; Xu, S; Avila, R; Irie, M; Lee, JH; Easterlin, RL; Kim, DH; Chung, HU; Olabisi, OO; Getaneh, S; Chung, E; Hill, M; Bell, J; Jang, H; Liu, C; Park, JB; Kim, J; Kim, SB; Mehta, S; Pharr, M; Tzavelis, A; Reeder, JT; Huang, I; Deng, Y; Xie, Z; Davies, CR; Huang, Y; Rogers, JA, Mechano-acoustic sensing of physiological processes and body motions via a soft wireless device placed at the suprasternal notch., Nature Biomedical Engineering, vol 4 no. 2 (2020), pp. 148-158 [10.1038/s41551-019-0480-6] [abs].
- Ni, X; Guo, X; Li, J; Huang, Y; Zhang, Y; Rogers, JA, 2D Mechanical Metamaterials with Widely Tunable Unusual Modes of Thermal Expansion., Advanced Materials (Deerfield Beach, Fla.), vol 31 no. 48 (2019) [10.1002/adma.201905405] [abs].
- Ni, X; Zhang, H; Liarte, DB; McFaul, LW; Dahmen, KA; Sethna, JP; Greer, JR, Yield Precursor Dislocation Avalanches in Small Crystals: The Irreversibility Transition., Physical Review Letters, vol 123 no. 3 (2019) [10.1103/physrevlett.123.035501] [abs].
- Ni, X; Papanikolaou, S; Vajente, G; Adhikari, RX; Greer, JR, Probing Microplasticity in Small-Scale FCC Crystals via Dynamic Mechanical Analysis, Physical Review Letters, vol 118 no. 15 (2017) [10.1103/physrevlett.118.155501] [abs].
- Vajente, G; Quintero, EA; Ni, X; Arai, K; Gustafson, EK; Robertson, NA; Sanchez, EJ; Greer, JR; Adhikari, RX, An instrument to measure mechanical up-conversion phenomena in metals in the elastic regime., Review of Scientific Instruments, vol 87 no. 6 (2016) [10.1063/1.4953114] [abs].